My mods and match-ups ~ The Watson bra:The Hepburn kit

Helen Cloke lingerie kit lingerie supplies the hepburn watson bra

Watson Bra and Bikini ~ made in  The Hepburn kit

Edited to add: Sorry! The Hepburn kit is sold out.  Look out for next months limited edition kits.

It's easy to make a matching set with the Watson.  Both a bra and bikini brief are included in this pattern and both require approx. a 75% stretch, knit fabric.  This pattern is a great place to start as a beginner!

My version: The Watson looks great kept simple and basic but I made a few style alterations to my set to take it next level.

I used a stretch lace overlay to add interest to the cups.  Originally I intended to use the scalloped edge of the lace along the inside of the cup.  It could have been done either with or without the polka dot scuba layered underneath.

But I really, really liked the look of the scallops overlapping on the scuba.  Something about the black and gold layered against the mustard gave me those yummy, warm feelings, so I decided instead to run the scallops up the cup seamline.

The process: I sewed up the inner and outer cup in scuba as per the instructions. Then (without cutting the lace to shape) I pieced and pinned the scallops along the seam line where I wanted them to go.  The bra cup is shaped and the lace is still flat so there was some excess fabric to loose somewhere.  Taking care not to pull too tight and flatten the cup, I smoothed the lace down along the bottom base of the cup and started doing the same from the top inner edge of the cup working down, pinning as I went.  Now all the excess lace is concentrated at the bottom inner point of the cup (where it meets the bridge.)

At this point the excess fabric could be gathered by running a row of basting stitches around this corner or, like I did, pleated two or three times.  I secured the scalloped edge with a shallow zig-zag stitch and basted around the outer edges to secure them in place and was then ready to carry on as per the instructions.

The bikini: I did a little style mix up of the bikini to keep it matched in to the mood of the bra.  I described this kit as being fierce and individual and it definitely turned out that way. 

I placed my left over scraps of stretch lace to mimic the lines of the polka dot, sewed along the edge of the scallops with a shallow zig-zag stitch and spray basted the rest of the lace in place.

Although I had enough mustard scuba to cut the back piece of the bikini from, I chose instead to use a black stretch mesh for a bit cheeky see-through-ness.  Other than that it was all done per the instructions. 


Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published